Medical Mutual's Risk Management Department is pleased to offer the following educational webinars to our members. Please note all webinars are viewable on mobile devices.
Continuing Medical Education (CME) Webinars
Medical Mutual is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education (ACCME) to provide continuing medical education for physicians.
As an accredited provider of CME, physicians who participate in a CME approved activity will be awarded AMA PRA Category 1 Credits™ and non-physician healthcare professionals will receive a certificate of participation. For information about the accreditation of this program, please contact CME Team.
Select webinars, indicated by an asterisk mark (*), will help you meet your state's pain management CME requirement, if applicable.
- NEW: Preserving Your Reputation in an Online World Join David Sousa, Chief Operating Officer & General Counsel at Medical Mutual, and Amanda Martin, JD, as they discuss online reputation management strategies, including how to effectively build, monitor, and maintain a positive reputation online. CME: 1.50 Credits
- *NEW Virginia Board of Medicine Regulations on Opioid Prescribing Join Jerry Canaan, JD, as he reviews Virginia’s legal requirements for prescribing opioids and strategies for improved patient care documentation and risk in the area of acute and chronic pain management. CME: 1.50 Credits
- *NEW: North Carolina Medical Board Controlled Substances Prescribing Update and Recognizing Signs of Abuse or Misuse Join Barbara E. Walker, DO, NCMB Board Member, as she reviews the NCMB's controlled substances CME requirement and what every clinician needs to know to recognize and respond to the abuse or diversion of patients prescribed controlled substances. CME: 1.00 Credit
- *NEW: Practical, Safe Controlled Substances Prescribing Practices for Acute and Chronic Pain Management Join Lisa Banker, MD, FACP, and Andy Bowman, PharmD, RPh, as they discuss the role of the patient, prescriber, and pharmacist in the prevention of controlled substance abuse, along with common errors in controlled substance prescribing and risk mitigating strategies and tools. CME: 1.75 Credits
- *NEW: Legal Obligations & Regulatory Oversight of Controlled Substances Prescribing Join Mike Midgley, RN, JD, MPH, CPHRM, DFASHRM, as he outlines the licensure and statutory obligations for clinicians under state law for prescribing controlled substances and discusses the importance of your state's prescription drug monitoring program (PDMP). CME: 1.75 Credits
- NEW: Coding and Documentation: The Importance of Accurate Documentation for Patients and Providers Join Patricia A. Markus, JD, Nelson Mullins Riley & Scarborough LLP, and Sharon Clayton, BSN, MSN, MBA, CPC, Firm Logic of Womble Carlyle Sandridge & Rice LLP as they discuss best practices for electronic health record documentation, coding, and why getting it right matters. CME: 1.50 Credits
- NEW: Establishing a Protected Peer Review Program Join Amalia V. Romanowicz, JD, with Post Schell PC, Lori Abel Meyerhoffer, MD, JD, with Yates McLamb & Weyher LLP, and Paige Levy Smith, JD, with Sands Anderson PC as they discuss how to set up an effective peer review program at your practice that adheres to peer review statutes. CME: 1.50 Credits
- NEW: The Quality Payment Program, MIPS, and APMs Join Scott Jones, CHC, as he outlines what you need to know regarding the Quality Payment Program and the reporting requirements for each track of the program. CME: 1.00 Credit
Please note the following webinars are not CME approved activities and will not provide CME credit. Most webinars are approximately one-hour in length.
- Tap-Dancing in the Minefield: FMLA, ADA and Workers' Compensation Issues for Employers Join William H. Foster, JD, with Nelson Mullins Riley & Scarborough LLP as he reviews the purpose of each law, areas of interplay, and your practice's legal obligations to comply.
- Nondiscrimination in Health Care ("Section 1557"): What You Need to Know Join Susan Fradenburg, JD, and Allyson Labban, JD, with Smith Moore Leatherwood LLP as they discuss Section 1557 of the ACA and what you need to know.
- An Introduction to Value-Based Healthcare Join Scott Jones, CHC, as he discusses how value based purchasing and healthcare will impact your medical practice, and the quality and compliance goals all providers must meet.
- Healthcare Compliance 101 Join Sean McKenna, JD, with Haynes and Boone LLP and Scott Jones, CHC, as they review patient safety, quality of care, and reimbursement provisions of HIPAA, PPACA, MACRA, and related legislation.
- Avoiding Healthcare Compliance Investigations 101 Join Sean McKenna, JD, with Haynes and Boone LLP and Scott Jones, CHC, as they discuss the current enforcement landscape and agencies, in addition to compliance with HIPAA, PPACA, FCA, Stark Law, AKS, and more.
- Medical Record Documentation Tips: Think In Ink! Join Lisa Banker, MD, President of Ideal Health Care Inc., and Medical Mutual's Physician Advisor, as she offers practical advice on how to improve documentation, protect revenue, and reduce malpractice risk exposure.
- Medical Practice Contracting Strategies Join Patricia A. Markus, JD, and Antonia A. Peck, JD, with Smith Moore Leatherwood LLP, as they address important topics that arise in preparing and negotiating employment and services agreements.
- The Emerging World of Telehealth Is One of Opportunity, But Under a Compliance Umbrella Join David Sousa, Medical Mutual's Chief Operating Officer & General Counsel, as he ensures your practice is aware of newly adopted guidelines and prepared for the changes.
- Releasing Medical Records in Complex Situations: Should We or Should We Not? Join Sara R. Lincoln, JD, with Lincoln Derr PLLC as she addresses complicated medical record release situations, along with the basics of the HIPAA Security Rule and the effects of the HITECH Act on medical record release.
- Look Before You Leap: Incorporating Clinical Trials Into Your Practice Join Andy Lemons, JD, with Smith Moore Leatherwood LLP, as he addresses the upsides of adding or growing your clinical research program.
- In-Office Dispensing — A Primer for Physicians Join Laura Evans, JD, with Smith Moore Leatherwood LLP, as she reviews restrictions on in-office dispensing and addresses registration, fraud and abuse, controlled substance, and related compliance issues.
- Is There Really Any 'Safe' Social Media in Health Care? You're Exposed. Get Protection. Join David Sousa, Medical Mutual's Chief Operating Officer & General Counsel, as he brings you up to speed on potential payoffs and pitfalls facing health care providers practicing and living in today's digital and social media worlds.
- A Historic 'Never Event': How Can We Prevent Others Join Evelyn McKnight, AuD, Co-founder & President of HONOReform, as she shares her personal story of the Nebraska outbreak and how it could have been prevented.
- Promoting Workplace Safety and Patient and Personal Satisfaction Join James W. Pichert, PhD, with the Center for Patient and Professional Advocacy (CPPA) at Vanderbilt University Medical Center, as he weighs practical options and considerations for consistently, professionally, and ethically addressing encounters with dissatisfied or aggressive patients.