Coverage FAQs

  1. What is Medical Mutual's A.M. Best rating?
    In 2015, the A.M. Best Company awarded Medical Mutual Insurance Company of North Carolina a prestigious "A" (Excellent) rating with a stable outlook. A.M. Best cited Medical Mutual's strong capitalization and operating performance, solid balance sheet, and leadership position in the market as factors in continuing the "A" (Excellent) rating. The rating agency also noted the company's aggressive claims defense posture and commitment to underwriting integrity in its decision to extend the "A" (Excellent) rating for a 12th consecutive year.

  2. In addition to the application, what additional information will I need to provide to obtain coverage? 
    As a general rule, you will need to provide us with your loss history, also known as a "loss run," for the previous 10 years. This report can be obtained from your current professional liability carrier. We will need this information even if you have never had a claim lodged against you. In addition to your loss history, you will also need to provide the declaration page from your most current professional liability policy.

  3. What are the characteristics of the claims-made policy?
    In a claims-made policy, the premiums increase each year for the first five years. It is also important to know that once a claims-made policy is cancelled, it provides no further protection unless an Extended Reporting Endorsement ("tail coverage") is purchased, or unless the policy holder retires, dies, becomes disabled, or tests positive for HIV or Hepatitis B. In these cases, tail coverage is provided at no additional charge.

  4. Do I have to purchase tail coverage from my current carrier before obtaining coverage with Medical Mutual?
    In certain situations we may be able to offer prior acts, or "nose coverage." If we can provide prior acts coverage, you will not have to purchase tail coverage from your current carrier, as we will be picking up your prior exposure (with the exception of any claims that have already been reported to your current carrier). The decision to provide prior acts coverage is made on an individual basis. If you want to be considered for prior acts coverage, it is important that you contact us early so that we can determine whether you qualify. If we are unable to provide coverage for prior acts, you will need to purchase tail coverage for your current carrier before your begin your new coverage with Medical Mutual.

  5. What limits of liability do you offer?
    The minimum limits of liability we offer are $1 million per claim/$1 million annual aggregate. The maximum limits of liability that we offer to new insureds are $6 million per claim/$8 million annual aggregate.

  6. Do you offer discounts for being new to practice or for working part-time?
    Yes, we offer discounts for both. If you are in your first practice out of your training program, military, or public health obligation, we will discount the first year's premium by 50% and the second year's premium by 25%. If you are practicing in a non-surgical specialty and are working between 20 and 30 hours each week, we offer a part-time discount of 20%. If you practice 20 hours or less a week, we offer a discount of 50%.

  7. When will I earn a free Extended Reporting Period (ERP), or a free tail?
    Upon permanent disability, death, or retirement from the practice of medicine, if you are 50 years of age or older and have been with the Company continuously for at least one year, or have been with the Company for at least seven years immediately preceding retirement.

  8. Is my PA or NP required to have individual professional liability coverage?
    Yes. We require individual coverage for Physician Assistants, Nurse Practitioners, Certified Nurse Midwives, and Certified Registered Nurse Anesthetists. We can provide the coverage as part of your policy, or these providers may purchase coverage individually from another company. In either case we will need a completed application. If coverage is purchased through another company, we will need a Certificate of Insurance (COI) from that carrier.