Medical Mutual is now Curi. Your same trusted partner now brings you more great resources and services to better medicine, business, and life. Explore Curi, Curi Practice Services, and Curi Capital.
Medical Mutual's Risk Management Department is pleased to offer the following educational webinars to our members. Please note all webinars are viewable on mobile devices.
Continuing Medical Education (CME) Webinars
Medical Mutual is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education (ACCME) to provide continuing medical education for physicians.
As an accredited provider of CME, physicians who participate in a CME approved activity will be awarded AMA PRA Category 1 Credits™ and non-physician healthcare professionals will receive a certificate of participation. For information about the accreditation of this program, please contact CME Team.
Select webinars, indicated by an asterisk mark (*), will help you meet your state's pain management CME requirement, if applicable.
- NEW: To Scribe or Not to Scribe Join Lisa Banker, MD, FACP, CCS, CCDS as she details the benefits and risks of using medical scribes to document patient care. The use of scribes is increasingly common in the health care settings, but given that it is a relatively new strategy, there is minimal information regarding the resulting legal implications. CME: 1.25 Credits
- NEW: Understanding Health Literacy Join Andy Bowman, Pharm. D. R.Ph and Anita Linton, RN, MBA as they detail methods to promote health literacy among patients. From prescription medication and consent forms to discharge instructions, health literacy is the cornerstone for helping patients take a more active learning role in their care. CME: 1.25 Credits
- NEW: Promoting Safety, Professionalism, and Patient and Personal Satisfaction Join James W. Pichert, PhD as he discusses professionalism as the foundation of safe and quality healthcare, and gives best practices to address behaviors that undermine that culture of safety. CME: 1.00 Credit
- NEW: Cloud Providers: How to Ensure Cloud Security Join Richard Sheinis, CIPP-US as he discusses what to look for when selecting a cloud service provider, and the security concerns associated with unsecured cloud data. CME: 1.00 Credit
- NEW: Who Can Give Informed Consent Join Adam Peoples, JD, as he discusses the informed consent process, citing specific case examples that illustrate how federal and state laws are interpreted when treating minors and elderly patients and during emergency situations. CME: 1.00 Credit
- NEW: Ketamine Infusions for the Treatment of Depression Join Greg Clary, MD, as he discusses the safe and effective use of intravenous ketamine as an off-label treatment for treatment-resistant depression. CME: .75 Credits
- NEW: Disaster Planning for the Medical Office Join Marjorie Satinsky, MBA, as she details how to prepare your practice in the event of a disaster and ensure you can recover quickly and continue providing services to patients. CME: 1.0 Credit
- NEW: Sexual Harassment in the Workplace Join Susanna K. Gibbons, Esq., as she explains the legal risks that can arise in physician practices related to sexual harassment, and how to identify and respond to these behaviors to promote healthy work environments. CME: 1.0 Credit
- NEW: Update on Neonatal Brachial Plexus Palsy and Shoulder Dystocia Join Robert Gherman, MD, FACOG, as he provides an update on the American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists Task Force Report on Neonatal Brachial Plexus Palsy, including its pathophysiology and causation with and without recognized shoulder dystocia. CME: 1.25 Credits
- NEW: Managing Expense and Revenue in Today's Medical Practice Join Cameron Cox III, MHA, FACMPE, as he discusses revenue and expense management strategies to effectively manage cash flow and improve overall profitability for practices. CME: 1.0 Credit
- NEW: Held for Ransom! First Steps to Mitigate Potential Server and Systems Takeover Join Richard Sheinis, CIPP-US, as he discusses the dangers of ransomware, and how to protect your practice’s data and computer systems from ransomware attacks. CME: 1.0 Credit
- NEW: Service Animals in Healthcare Facilities Join Susanna K. Gibbons, Esq., as she provides a description of service animals and details the federal and state-specific requirements related to service animals in a healthcare setting. CME: 1.0 Credit
- NEW: Emergency Medical Treatment and Labor Act (EMTALA) Join Tricia Derr, JD, as she reviews the history and scope of the Emergency Medical Treatment and Labor Act, along with its penalties for violation and risk exposure for noncompliance using case study examples. CME: 0.75 Credits
- Preserving Your Reputation in an Online World Join David Sousa, Chief Operating Officer & General Counsel at Medical Mutual, and Amanda Martin, JD, as they discuss online reputation management strategies, including how to effectively build, monitor, and maintain a positive reputation online. CME: 1.50 Credits
- Virginia Board of Medicine Regulations on Opioid Prescribing* Join Jerry Canaan, JD, as he reviews Virginia’s legal requirements for prescribing opioids and strategies for improved patient care documentation and risk in the area of acute and chronic pain management. CME: 1.50 Credits
- North Carolina Medical Board Controlled Substances Prescribing Update and Recognizing Signs of Abuse or Misuse* Join Barbara E. Walker, DO, NCMB Board Member, as she reviews the NCMB's controlled substances CME requirement and what every clinician needs to know to recognize and respond to the abuse or diversion of patients prescribed controlled substances. CME: 1.00 Credit
- Practical, Safe Controlled Substances Prescribing Practices for Acute and Chronic Pain Management* Join Lisa Banker, MD, FACP, and Andy Bowman, PharmD, RPh, as they discuss the role of the patient, prescriber, and pharmacist in the prevention of controlled substance abuse, along with common errors in controlled substance prescribing and risk mitigating strategies and tools. CME: 1.75 Credits
- Legal Obligations & Regulatory Oversight of Controlled Substances Prescribing* Join Mike Midgley, RN, JD, MPH, CPHRM, DFASHRM, as he outlines the licensure and statutory obligations for clinicians under state law for prescribing controlled substances and discusses the importance of your state's prescription drug monitoring program (PDMP). CME: 1.75 Credits
- Coding and Documentation: The Importance of Accurate Documentation for Patients and Providers Join Patricia A. Markus, JD, Nelson Mullins Riley & Scarborough LLP, and Sharon Clayton, BSN, MSN, MBA, CPC, Firm Logic of Womble Carlyle Sandridge & Rice LLP as they discuss best practices for electronic health record documentation, coding, and why getting it right matters. CME: 1.50 Credits
- Establishing a Protected Peer Review Program Join Amalia V. Romanowicz, JD, with Post Schell PC, Lori Abel Meyerhoffer, MD, JD, with Yates McLamb & Weyher LLP, and Paige Levy Smith, JD, with Sands Anderson PC as they discuss how to set up an effective peer review program at your practice that adheres to peer review statutes. CME: 1.50 Credits
- The Quality Payment Program, MIPS, and APMs Join Scott Jones, CHC, as he outlines what you need to know regarding the Quality Payment Program and the reporting requirements for each track of the program. CME: 1.00 Credit